CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Meet Bandit


Sorry guys, I didn't have the pictures when I wanted to blog!! Here is an abridged version of the dog story:

I was looking through Petfinder.com looking for a small rescue dog for weeks. Not that I really WANTED a dog, but I was just seeing what was out there. During the girls weekend in Baltimore we saw a lady picking up a puppy to fly to CA. It was a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel puppy - the cutest thing I ever did see. So, to make a long story short, I found a puppy that needed rescuing in OH that was 1/2 Cavalier, 1/2 toy English Spaniel. However, it was pending adoption already. I called the shelter to see exactly what "pending" meant. It turns out, the lady was supposed to pick it up the day before and didn't show up! I turned in my application on Sunday and went to school on Monday a nervous wreck about getting a dog. Lisa told me she would come with me to get the puppy, so I was looking forward to the trip if I got approved.

Monday night I got approved, but the puppy had a vet appointment on Saturday. In the meantime, I sent a picture to Amy of ANOTHER puppy at the shelter, which was also half Cavalier, but half Cocker. She fell in love with that one. It, too, said "pending". I told the shelter I could come pick up the puppy on Monday evening. On Sunday night Amy called the lady with the dogs, and asked about the other puppy. There were several applications on that one, but they had other dogs. Amy said no, she really had her heart set on THAT dog, but that was ok. At 9:15 Sunday night Amy gets a phone call from the shelter, even though she hadn't left her name or number. If she wanted the dog, fill out an application, bring the cash, and she could take it home with me on Monday. It turns out the first application was having a hard time coming up with the money, and the next application was from South Carolina, and who knew when they could come get it?

On Monday morning at school we were so excited for our big trip - 3 of us going, 2 of us getting puppies. Monday was also Amy's birthday, and when Barbara heard, she wanted to come with us. Becky, our director, got a sub for Barbara for the afternoon and we were all free to go at noon!!

Our trip there was a LOT of fun. We really wanted to be safe drivers, so we added extra protection!



Once we got to the shelter Lisa saw a Shitzu (which is NOT spelled right!) and called her husband. He said no, Amy and I got our dogs, and we left. Less than a mile down the road Lisa's husband called her back and told her to go get the dog. We went back, got the dog, and headed home.


Luckily Barbara didn't mind driving because we were all holding puppies the whole trip home!


4 of us went, and 3 came home with puppies. We are loving them!




We didn't tell the kids about the puppy, preferring to surprise them instead. Boy, were they ever surprised on Tuesday morning!!


That is our latest addition to the family, and will probably be it. We are thinking the dog will grow to about 12 pounds, and he is 6 pounds now. He sure is a cute puppy!


21 people tasted this cookie:

Megan said...

Good for you for rescuing a puppy! And he is a cutie.

Shana-Lynn said...

Awww...he is so cute!What a wonderful story.BTW, what shelter did you get him at in Ohio?

Jonathan's Mommy said...

He is so cute! I hope my husband reads this ;)

Mom said...

A new grandchild! I'm SO PROUD! He's really cute, Susie. Can't wait to meet him!

Kimberly said...

OMG, that puppy is ADORABLE!!! Congrats!

A.K. said...

soooo precious!!!

Ashley said...

congratulations & welcome to the world of rescue puppies! they are, by far, the best dogs in the world.

two years ago, i got a 41 pound lab-mix from a spca in roanoke, va. they said she was a little over a year old and fully grown. well, little did they (or I) know that the "mix" was lab + alaskan malamute! she is now 112 pounds!! and let me tell you, it's 112 pounds of the sweetest puppy love ever. :)

TwinMommyLawchick said...

He is so adorable! Congratulations on your new addition!

Neurotic Atty said...

Ohmigosh, he is sooooo cute! Now I want one! I love it that you kept it a surprise for the kids. You must have some serious will power, though! Enjoy the new puppy!

Amy said...

Congratulations on the newest Solo! You guys will have lots of fun with that little guy.

Vixbil said...

Gorgeous
xx

Anonymous said...

he is so cute.
I hope I have one.
-shinyoung

liz said...

such a cutie - and the perfect size for your lap :)

David said...

Great story and good for you. Being the parents of many adopted dogs we applaud you.

The Vollmers said...

We got our Howie baby (his 8th birthday is TOMORROW) from the SICSA (Society for the Improvement of the Conditions of Stray Animals) shelter in Kettering, OH. What a cutie pie he was as a puppy and is still the best dog in the universe to us!

Jacob takes so much job in being in charge of feeding Howie, and soon we'll be able to trust him on walks.

We're sure your Bandit will bring you years of pleasure and joy.

Have fun!

kristen said...

Happy Late Birthday Mikey!
Love,
Karina & Colin

Janice said...

Hey you were over my neck of the woods! Congratulations on the adorable little puppy!!!

Anonymous said...

Very cute! Hey - I e-mailed you about 3 weeks ago and never heard back; what's up?? When are you coming to CO? Let me know if we're going to get to see you....

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your newest addition. He is adorable.
Brandy

The Probert Family in the USA said...

Oh, I just love Molly's "new" haircut! I can't believe how dark her hair is getting, though. And look how much her face has slimmed down -- completely lost that "baby" look and is now completely a little girl. Mikey hasn't changed a bit!

The Probert Family in the USA said...

Oh, I just love Molly's "new" haircut! I can't believe how dark her hair is getting, though. And look how much her face has slimmed down -- completely lost that "baby" look and is now completely a little girl. Mikey hasn't changed a bit!