CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 29, 2008

The First Day of Kindergarten.

It feels like so much of my job is done. I mean, I KNOW they are still little, and there is so much ahead of us. But there is also so much behind us. Playdates now ride the bus home with her, and I probably won't know the parents. I liked it when their playdates were MY friends' kids. It was more of a playdate for me, I admit, but I trusted them with my kids if I had to run somewhere quickly. Now, these parents - gosh, when I send Molly to THEIR house - what if they have a loaded gun in the house? What if they smoke crack? I need to KNOW this. And I won't. Probably ever. It's hard for me to lose that control I have over their lives.

She now comes home with STORIES. Of what they did. Of who said what. Of who did what, and what the teacher said. She and Michael chit-chat on the walk from the bus stop, comparing days, what they ate for lunch, who had what "special" (art, P.E., music, computer lab, library), and what happened to their friends today. I love to hear it, but it sometimes makes me feel so. What's the word? Disconnected?

Tomorrow she brings her first playdate home on the bus. She's SO excited. I wonder what we'll find fun to do...

It can be hard sending small people you love SO SO SO much out into the world to start spreading their wings. I just hope people are kind to them. I think of that when I'm teaching my class, now that I have kids. I know that these little tots have parents who love THEM as much as I love MINE. It has made me a much different teacher. And I do love those tots. Just for that very reason.

11 people tasted this cookie:

Anonymous said...

Nice post and super cute picture!

Kristen said...

Oh, that picture is super cute! I can't believe it. Time has flown. I had a hard time when Collin went to school. I cried. It'll get easier

A.K. said...

she is absolutely precious!

i think about that a lot, wondering if i will view teaching and the kids differently once i'm a mom myself...

Holliday Family said...

she is precious toots!

Amy said...

Hey Susie

I remembered your blog address (not too hard to do!) and checked it out. I've been catching up on past blogs....you have a way with words. I'd also never seen pictures of Chris and Michael, so it's nice to put faces with names.

This post is great - I feel the same way about my kids (students, that is).....most of the time, that is!

Jonathan's Mommy said...

I love the picture--that dress is so cute and her smile is so pretty! It's so funny, we want our kids to grow up and be more independent but then we feel sad when they do!

Neurotic Atty said...

Ohmigosh, that made me cry! Molly is such a cutie pie, though, that her little picture made me smile again.

Shana-Lynn said...

She looks absolutely adorable. I can't even think about that time in our lives. I know it will be here way too soon, but wow, it's too emotional to think I have to let go, I know I have to but gosh, I am not ready. I will be emailing you that day!

Janice said...

Susie, I love your post! Letting the go of the kids and giving them more freedon will be hard on me, I am sure. Letting Cameron go to pre-school is easy for me but when both kids go to kindergarten and first grade I will be a wreck.

BTW, I am so jealous you got to go to Europe!

Wendy said...

She looks so darn cute!! I promise I will call you. Love you! Miss ya!

Megan said...

How cute is that dress?!!