CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 23, 2009



"This is the BEST age!"


Chris and I seem to say this earnestly at least two or three times a year. "We don't want them to get old." "We enjoy them just they way they are!" and "Isn't this the best?"

I liked it when they were babies and napped at the same time, ate at the same time, and played with the same toys. I thought I had it made.

I liked it when they took baths together, shared so nicely together, and ate dinner with us as a family. No more naps, but we had longer days to do things together. I thought I had it made.


Now, they take their own showers, including conditioning their hair. They can turn the water off, get their towel, put on their pajamas, and hang their towels up. They bring us a book and read to US. They can get their own snacks out of the refridgerator (cheese, yogurt, etc.) get their own drinks, and clear the table after they eat. When they want to go out in the snow they just ask "Can we go OUT to play...?" After I nod, they can get on their boots, hats, coats, gloves, and scarves. I look out the window to check on them playing together. They come in, hang things up, put them away (after I nag a little bit) and play Monopoly together. I don't even have to count out money or change! They'll play chess, or draw, or play with their Lincoln Logs. They can buckle their own seat belts! I'm so glad I had two kids, of opposite sex, close together. I think I have it made.

16 people tasted this cookie:

Gina said...

Sounds like you do have it made Susie! They have grown up so fast. Enjoy them before they start high school :)

Anonymous said...

Nice post! Wasn't it so nice of God to make it so that there are things to appreciate at every stage of childhood to help keep us parents sane!

jean said...

I couldn't agree with your post more. I am constantly telling my kids to "stop growing so much" and they reply "Mooommm, we can't help it". But if they didn't how could we enjoy that next stage?

A.K. said...

man, maybe i need to start teaching the older grades- that sounds like heaven having them be able to do their own things!

i definitely agree- one boy and one girl is the way to go!

Holliday Family said...

wow, you DO have it made. And whilst I agree, God had something to do with it, I also think great parenting plays a big part too...now all I need is for you to come over here and train my kids cos all I seem to do is spend my time pulling them off each other when they fight ! (Do I sound bitter?) xx

Jonathan's Mommy said...

Wow! That is pretty amazing!

Janice said...

You know that my kids are pretty close in age but I am afraid they won't be as independent as yours. But your post gives me hope! They are getting so big!!

Jodi said...

It's so fun to see your kids growing up ahead of mine. Makes me enjoy the time we're in now and look forward to all of the big kid stuff to come!

Brandy said...

You do have it made. Your kids are great. I'm glad to hear that it just keeps getting better.

Samantha said...

What a sweet post, Susie. You've got great kids.

Anonymous said...

What an touching post!

- Steph

Vixbil said...

So sweet
xx

Shana-Lynn said...

Wow, what a wonderful post, I think it's one of my favorites!!! Thanks for sharing Susie, you have such a lovely family!

erin said...

Oh how excited I am to read this!

Amy said...

Oh, I love reading this!

(And it makes me not like the stage we're at just a teeny bit. . . honestly, though, I've had the same feeling for the last 2 years. It's good to know that it will continue!)

liz said...

Ditto! You DO have it made. Don't we ALL have it made? I say "I like this age best" every couple months, too. I'm SO glad to hear it keeps feeling that way - thanks Susie!