CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 08, 2007

The power of prayer.

We have had some unusually warm weather here - like, in the upper 80's this weekend. Chris and I were taking the kids to the football game. So, we buy them each a ticket outside of the gate and in we go. Since it was so hot, I asked Chris to stop to get us each a water. He stopped, pulled out his wallet, and had ONE DOLLAR in there. Now, there is NO ATM in the stadium. I didn't have my purse, since I didn't want to stand in the "bagcheck line", and if you go outside of the stadium to use the ATM, you can't get back in the stadium. What to do, what to do...?

I immediately thought of our next door neighbor, Rebecca. She is a PSU police officer, and works in command control underneath the stadium. So, I tell Chris to take the kids to the seats, I'll find us money for water. I go to track down Rebecca, only to be told she is out of the stadium at that time. I proceed to leave her a note that went something like this:
"We brought Mikey and Molly to the game, but are out of $. It is hot and they need water.
Section SH, Row 46, Seat 8. Thanks! Susie"

As I leave command control, all I could think of was my responsibility as a parent was to take care of my children. I was failing. I said aloud to the thousands of people entering the stadium "God, what do I do now...??" I walked about 20 yards, if that, and entering the stadium was Pastor Lynn from my school!! I said a quick prayer of thanks, explained the situation, and borrowed $10 until Monday at school. I felt much better as a mom.

I go all the way to our seats, and flash the money to Chris. I told him I had borrowed it from Pastor Lynn! He said "You borrowed MONEY from a PASTOR?!" I said "Yup, sure did." Chris asked me where the waters were, but I was so excited, I had forgotten to get them! So, I went to the bathroom and stood in line for waters. There wasn't really a line, just one dude in front of me buying 6 waters. He turned around, and it was my neighbor! As I bought the kids each a water, I was laughing, telling him the story of how I was buying the water. He insisted I take a $20 to last the game, since I had "two kids and four quarters". So, I took the change, his $20, and the waters back to the seats. Chris said "Where did you get THAT money??" I told him I ran into Greg, and he laughed, saying only I could go to Beaver Stadium, and in 109,000 people find two that I know well enough to borrow money.

Later, Mikey said "Hey! There's Miss Rebecca!" She had come to the rescue with a water, and offered us money, too, but by then, we were fine.

See, one deliberate prayer, and the kids were fine for the whole game. God is indeed good.

Mikey has received speech therapy since he was 18 months old. We are used to his speech. Molly is now starting to say things a little differently, but not as he says them. It started this summer....

"poach" is porch
"cone" is corn
The funniest? Over the weekend she threw a ball into a tub. She shouted "SKWO!"

At the game, she always wanted to know what the "skwo" was. I wonder when she'll realize it is score.....

15 people tasted this cookie:

Amy said...

Susie, I love your stories! Glad you had fun at the game and stayed well hydrated, thanks to an answered prayer!

Anonymous said...

What, you mean you didn't say a prayer for beer??

Megan said...

God does work in mysterious ways.

Janice said...

Wow, that's amazing! Glad you ran into your friends and pastor! I probably would've freaked out as per usual and gone home. I would not have thought to say a prayer. Thanks for reminding me that prayers are important. :-)

my4kids said...

Wow that is pretty cool to run into people randomly like that!

Kenzie went through a couple of years where she didn't use R's in her speach it was cute. She grew out of it though. I was worried a bit though since Izzak had to have speach therapy.

Jonathan's Mommy said...

What a great story! It sounds like it could not have worked out better!!

Neurotic Atty said...

You definitely found some angels, especially the neighbor who spotted you the $20. My 6-year-old nephew eats at least $20 worth of food at the WVU games ($8 for a slice of pizza?!). It would have been a looooong 4 quarters indeed!

As for Molly's speech, it's clear to me that she has been sneaking off to KY. A good friend of mine is from the Louisville area, and her "or" and "ol" sounds all come out as long "o" sounds. Molly is clearly a southern belle at heart.

the Book of Keira said...

LOL@ Laura....

I would have prayed for nachos and let the kids sit there and sweat. You're a good mama :-)

StephGrubb said...

WOW! That story gives me hope as Chad has lost his job and I only work part time. I know that GOD will answer our prayers about providing for our family.

- Steph

Kelly said...

Great story! God does answer prayer!

BTW my son puts an 'F' where the 'tr' is in truck. We try not to laugh and hope he outgrows it soon!

liz said...

you really Skwo'd a lot of water - God is GREAT!

Kristen said...

that is so weird. We had the same experience at the game we went to recently. D had to go "up the chain" to get them to let him out of the stadium to go pick up Theron was at home, and to get them to let him back in!

We were so thirsty, cause it was so hot, and I asked a security officer where the ATM's were, and she said there weren't any! I'm so used to not having cash, and using cards for everything!

It's cool the pastor was there and helped you out!

Denise said...

VERY resourceful! I like!!! I hope your team has been doing well. I have not kept up much with Penn State. I'm too busy hoping Florida State will get good (and Bobby can stay ahead of Joe in terms of most wins!!). :)

Shana-Lynn said...

I love it! What a great story. I think you should start writing a book with all your great stories in them. It would totally sell.

Glad everything turned out well for you!

Megan said...

Yay! God is good!