CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

They USED to be babies.


Sometimes I miss them being babies. No, not the waking up in the middle of the night, not the changing diapers, not the crying, colic, acid reflux or lactose intolerance. Just the baby. Feeding them at 4 am, knowing that we were the only ones awake on our street. The cuddles and the clutch of their hand on my shirt. The gummy grins.
I've come to the realization that we as a family have moved past that stage. We no longer need strollers, swings, exersaucers, bottles, wipes, diapers, sippy cups, or changing tables. And we never will again. In some respects, it is a little bit sad. Not that I WANT it again, and to be honest, not that I really remember much of it the first time...they were just so close in age.
But now, we have two soccer players. Two kids that are line leaders and snack providers this week. Two kids that can play in the backyard if I keep an ear on them. One that can ride without training wheels, and one that isn't too far behind. We have two best friends who are exploring the world together.
I still like looking at their baby pictures.

12 people tasted this cookie:

Shana-Lynn said...

It goes by so fast doesn't it? I try to take it all in now because I know it will be gone in no time and I will be wondering where babyhood went. I often wonder it now actually.

How close in age are your two children? Those baby pictures of them are just adorable and now they play soccer. Wow, where does the time go?

A.K. said...

stop! you are making me want to have kids.... i at least need to get Scott through a year of pilot training before that!

just think- now you can joke with them and they get half the jokes, now they say the cutest things... and of course- now they can show you their love for you more!

Jonathan's Mommy said...

This is a really sweet post! I look at Jonathan and have many of the same thoughts--where HAVE the last 27 months gone? It's amazing to look at them now and then at pictures when they are little.

Megan said...

Awww. Look at those little guys! Molly looks so much like Eleanor did as a tiny baby!

I'm sure one day I'll miss baby-hood too, but there are so many fun things about having "big kids" too!

Jodi said...

Susie, so great to see pics of your kids when they were babies since I only think of them as BIG KIDS!

You've got me smiling. What a warm fuzzy of a post.

Gina said...

Susie, so wonderful to see the baby pictures, don't think we have ever seen them as babies (as Jodi said). Brings tears to my eyes and reminds me to treasure every moment with my one sweet baby and one big 3 1/2 year old (feeling you on the baby thing there).

Anonymous said...

They are so adorable. They must get that from Susies side of the family.(Ha ha just kidding Chris) Seriously, they look so peaceful....

Steph

my4kids said...

I get sad when I think about how big my kids are getting. Me personally? I'd have more if I could but then I'm not very sane....

Anonymous said...

You are a good writer.
I am always touched by your writings.
Mikey...he was sooooooo cute.
He looks like a doll.

-Shinyoung

Brandy said...

I can't even imagine when ours will be riding bikes, but I'm sure it will happen faster than we think.

Neurotic Atty said...

Awww...what beautiful babies! And look at all that hair Mikey had! Unfortunately, they can't be babies forever, but every year brings bigger and better surprises, right?

Anonymous said...

It's okay to be sad and okay to not want to do it again!

Man - look at how dark Molly's hair looks!