CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 05, 2007


There he goes...


My first born. My baby. My big boy. Off he went to kindergarten. I was nervous, excited, sad and proud all rolled into one. I had to trust that he would get to the right classroom, eat lunch, and get home on the right bus. Anything else is just an added bonus on the first day of kindergarten. As a mommy, I was terrified. As a teacher, I knew he'd be just fine.


Kindergarten teachers have it down to a science, let me tell you. Everything is color coded, sorted with shapes, and ready to go on the first day. You HAVE to be overly prepared when you teach little kids. This morning, after he had gone, I remembered so clearly teaching kindergarten - how excited the kids were, how worried the parents were, and how I had to assure them that all was well. I do not want to be a PITA parent. I will let Mrs. Valent teach, and I will parent.


So, I had my tear or two roll down my face after the bus left, and went on to school. The big problem was MOLLY! After we got in the car to leave, she cried and cried. Every bus we saw started her off again with her saying in between tears "Is THAT his bus...?" It was their first big separation. She had to look at his car seat all the way to school, knowing that he was on a bus, going to a different school, all without HER. It was sad. Hopefully tomorrow will be easier on both of us.


Mikey was a different story. Excited, focused, and serious, he quickly boarded the bus and left. The best part was picking him up at the bus stop and having him chat the whole walk home about his day. (The bus stop is at the end of the road, 6 houses down.) We got to hear all about snack, lunch, having TWO playtimes outside, and his centers at school today. It was all new to me, so I was a captive audience! I just wanted to know EVERYTHING. How did he do talking at show-and-tell? Did he make any friends? Did he sit on the carpet nicely? Did he have good manners? Was he enthusiastic or calm? I wish I could be a fly on the wall. Then I could watch him grow up. Without me.

25 people tasted this cookie:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of all of you!
Love,
Kristen

Megan said...

Good Job, Mom! You said it exactly. I think something is missing if it doesn't go like that. Poor Molly! Jamie never acted that way. She was excited to see her sister go!

Brandy said...

Congratulations on all of you surviving the first big day!

Neurotic Atty said...

What a sweet story! I'm so glad that the first day of school went so well. I'm sure it was hard for you to watch him pack off to the school bus, but how lucky are you to have that moment!

Jonathan's Mommy said...

Sounds like you did pretty well! It makes me feel a little sick inside to think about putting Jonathan on a bus for kindergarten and it's still three years away!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe he has started kindergarten!!! How cute that Molly was that upset over her big brother going to a different school. I love that they are that close!! I'm sure tomorrow will be better for both of you.

Janice said...

Love your post, Susie! Makes me wonder how it would be like on the other side (as a parent this time around). I hope my kids will be as excited as Mikey was on his first day.

I know it must have been so upsetting for Molly to be away from Mikey but I thought it was just so sweet to hear she cried and kept asking if that was his bus or not. :-)

Jamie said...

Such a big moment, going off to school. You handled it so well!!

I will likely be a teary, terrified mess. And that's just when I leave her with Grandma to go out to dinner :)

Megan said...

Aw, sweet Molly! I loved reading this post. Thanks for sharing your big first day with us!

erin said...

"As a mommy, I was terrified. As a teacher, I knew he'd be just fine."

You hit the nail on the head, sister! I wish I could go back to my years teaching kindergarten understanding this time what the parents were feeling. You really just don't get it until you ARE one.

Glad to hear his first day was amazing.

Kimberly said...

Awe...I just got teary eyed reading this post!

A.K. said...

good job! you made it through the first day!! thanks for sharing that with us- and now you have your preschoolers to distract you!

Amen to being overprepared with little kids- i had some down time today and had to make up some things as we go- never again!!!

Amy said...

Awww, way to go Mikey and Mommy! Such a big day!

Christina Barosko said...

It is very hard seeing your kids go off to school. WOW how time flies. Mikey is such a big boy now. Hope Molly is adjusting to Mikey being gone all day.

the Book of Keira said...

Awww.... my Owen starts on the 10th and I'm going to be a basket case.

Stacey said...

Awww. kindergarten. That will be next year for us and I imagine I'll be a bawling mess. One more year to prepare I suppose.

Happy to see new people at my blog. I'm new to your blog as well so I don't know the ages of your children but I'm holding a contest and giving away a Chicco stroller. I do want it to go to someone deserving. So please feel free to pass the word along if you want/know someone!

Kristen said...

Urgh...I tried to leave comment, but I don't know if it let me...

Cute story with an adorable picture to illustrate it! I know just how you feel.

Shana-Lynn said...

What a big day and week for you all. Sounds like you handled everything very well. Way better than I will probably.

my4kids said...

Kenzie cried when Joshua started Kindergarten also even though she was used to Izzak going. She though was just upset because she wanted to go to school also not necisarily with him.

Wendy said...

Hey I am glad I got to talk to you!! Stacy mentioned to me tonight that she has not been able to leave comments on your blog?!! I wonder what's up with that?? Talk soon!!

Alicia said...

Thanks for your comment on my li'l buddy's cake. And yes, it was definitely all cake! Totally edible! By the way, I just had my oldest start kidergarten, too! I've shed a lot of tears so I know how you feel. Hope your guy is still lovin' it as much as he did the first day!

liz said...

Know I know I'll be calling you, Erin, and Samantha in 4 or 5 years for support!
Way to go, Mikey, and way to go, Susie!

Tell Molly that I remember when my brother left for USAFA and I was sad - it'll be okay. Don't tell her life was never the same - ever again.

Lawyer Mama said...

That's so hard. Knowing they're experiencing all these new things without us!

Today Hollis went into the school for the first time without me or his sitter. (He's 3). He looked so small holding his friend, Peyton's hand.

Kelly said...

I saw your info on Happy Valley Moms.com. I live in the area too. My daughter started kindergarten this year and she loves it!

Kelly said...

thanks for the offer. I think I'm a 6 Petite. But I think it's cocktail attire--not real formal.