CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 08, 2007

A Favorite Friend



Shinyoung lived in Ohio when we lived there, and her husband was also a student at AFIT. They are from Seoul, and we became good friends with them. Moon, her husband, came over months before Shinyoung and their son came over, so we took him under our wing. Chris made sure he was learning English, and I made sure he wasn't learning dirty English. One time, Moon said to Chris "Is it right to say "Move your fat ass'? " Chris said "Not to me, it isn't!" Moon was not satisfied so he said "How about 'Move your boney ass'? " Chris asked him "Moon, where are you getting this stuff?" It turns out that Moon was renting old movies on the weekend and learning English from them. I think this one was Working Girl.

So, Shinyoung shows up. She is a quiet, intelligent, beautiful woman. I tell Moon that he batted way out of his league. Shinyoung and I became friends instantly. I loved showing her around, telling her things that we do, and learning from her, too. Not long after she got here, she was pregnant. How exciting! It was fun to go through that with her, especially since by then Molly was already here, and I knew I would not have another.

The biggest honor I have ever received? That daughter she has in the picture is named Susanne. After me. Wow, huh. Think on THAT for awhile. We call her "Little Susie".

11 people tasted this cookie:

Anonymous said...

I am very glad that you read my blog. I am flattered that I can see Little Susie and my picture and read our story. You has a kind heart.'Move your boney ass' and 'batted way out of one's league'....I cannot forget those phrases forever.

I am your unfailing friend.
LOVE~~~
Shinyoung

Anonymous said...

What an honor and a sweet family! And what a great story about Moon! Had me smiling bright and early today...

Wendy said...

What a very special friendship. Irreplaceable. But, Susie, I would say you "chose your friends wisely". You have some pretty special and genuine friends my girl.

Megan said...

WOW! That really is an honor! What a great reminder to have around, so that you never forget how special you are to them!!

Megan said...

That was a lovely story. Brought tears to my eyes, not that it takes much these days.

liz said...

I remember her! I also remember Dan teaching Moon the saying "Ten fingers, Ten toes" as the good news message that Little Susie was born. Thanks for the flashback :)

Christina Barosko said...

Wow It was great seeing the pictures of the Moon family. I showed Steve too.

Amy said...

I'm just catching up after a week away and Susie, you did not disappoint! First, the wonderful new blog layout and then all of your wonderful posts from the past week. Thanks for making me smile, as usual!

Denise said...

What a great picture - what beautiful subjects! Another great expression about being out of one's league in terms of a mate is a football one, "you outkicked your coverage." Great post!

Anonymous said...

What a special relationship. Most of been an awesome adventure to go through with them. Gina

Anonymous said...

That IS an amazing honor! Of course who could blame her? You are quite the amazing woman, Suze. I love you and miss you so much! It was such a nice day today I was thinking how I would have loved to take the baby on a walk to the park with you and the kids. I can't wait for you to come back to Colorado! I also need my ski buddy back!!!