CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 09, 2006

Feeling un-needed sometimes.

Molly had her first playdate last week. Without me. It was a lot harder on me than it was on her - she was nothing but excited, and I was nothing but nervous. I had to let my baby ride home with someone else from school to play, and I was going to pick her up. I didn't really know the parents, I had to get directions to their house, and she would be there for 2 hours!

Mikey was all out of sorts because he couldn't go. The first individual playdate. So, I convinced him that WE would have fun on our own until we went to get her. We walked from school to the bank for cash (essential to have any fun at all!), and then he decided we should WALK to the Creamery on campus for ice cream. Now, to get to the Creamery it is at least a half mile, UPHILL. I tried and tried to convince him we should drive, that he would get tired, that it was a long way, etc. etc. etc. He said "If I get tired, I'll just keep walking." So, off we went. We held hands, talked about our mornings, sang songs, and walked. He never even needed a rest. As we sat eating ice cream and drinking chocolate milk in the Creamery he said "Mom, these people think I'm a college kid." I asked him what he meant. He replied "They don't know I'm a little boy. You are the only one here that knows I am a little boy - they all think I am a college kid like them!" He is the sweetest 4 year old boy on this Earth.

So, we walked down to school, got the car, ran home to change, and went to get Molly. She and Becca were just on their way out the door for a wagon ride with her mom. Becca lives on a paved road that is hilly, and Mikey wanted to ride her little tricycle up the hill so he could ride down, too. Becca's mom pulled the girls up, and I walked with Mikey on this tiny trike. Becca's mom pulled the wooden sides off of the wagon, got in with the girls, and they were off, screeching and laughing all the way down. Mikey started heading down, with me walking behind him. All of the sudden he stopped, stood up, and looked at me with an expression that I had never seen before. I realized he was holding the handle bars! I sort of laughed, and said, "Wow, I'm glad you could stop yourself! Let me help you..." I went to help put the handle bars back in the bike, but the front wheel came off in my hand! Then, I tried to pick it up to carry it, and the seat came off, too! So, the tricycle is in 5 pieces - the handle bars, the seat, the front wheel, the two back wheels, and some metal ring from around the front tire. At this point, I am laughing uncontrollably. Mikey is begging me to quit laughing - he is too embarassed. I assured him I was not laughing at him, I was just so happy that he wasn't hurt! We walked down the hill to the house, carrying the bike in 5 pieces, and I didn't quite know what to say to the mom. I looked at her and said "Ummm.... I think I need a tool...." She assured me it was ok, that it had happened before. I was relieved, but at the same time I thought "You put my kid on a death trap to ride down the hill??"




The funniest part of the whole day was when I was retelling the story to my sister, Katherine. She and I laughed so hard we were crying, and couldn't even talk to each other on the phone, because we couldn't stop laughing and crying! It was a great way to end my day.

2 people tasted this cookie:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Molly looks so big! I can't believe how she's changed in only a couple of months. I can't wait to have all of these fun stories about our little Evie!!

liz said...

I remember when I was about 6 years old, getting a fake (but gorgeous, of course!) gold ring from a gumball machine. I thought that if I wore it on the right finger, everyone would think I was really married!